Frequently asked questions
Will the NGV cylinder explode in case of fire?
No - the cylinder valve has safety devices that vent the gas when temperature and/or pressure increases.
How safe is natural gas (NG) storage in an accident?
The storage cylinders are built to a rigorous standard (ECE R110), which adds strength to the overall structure. NG storage is stronger than gasoline fuel tanks.
NG cylinders are subjected to a number of tests measuring resistance to heat and pressure extremes, gunfire, collisions and fire. Storage cylinders are equipped with an electrical solenoid valve and manual closing system in case of an emergency or for maintenance. They have additional safety devices, such as excess flow valves which limit or shut off gas flow in case of gas pipe rupture.
How safe is NGV in the event of fire?
There are no risks in using NGV because of the following reasons:
- Natural gas (NG) is lighter than air, so in cases of accidental leakage it will rise rapidly and dissipate.
- There is no possibility of spillage like gasoline; leaked gas cannot be ignited due to the fact that no liquid can be accumulated on the ground.
- The NG circuit is hermetic: it excludes all air inside thereby preventing any possibility of an explosive mixture being formed.
Will NG affect engine performance?
No - the engine performance under NG will remain almost the same.
Can the NG vehicle be used in the desert?
Yes it can be used in the desert without any problems.
Will NG affect vehicle speed?
The same speed can be reached when driving on natural gas. It is worth noting that in the Guinness Book of Records, an Audi A4 was recorded as the fastest vehicle running on natural gas, reaching 364.6 km/hr in April 2009.
Does the conversion process increase / decrease vehicle power?
In gasoline mode there is no decrease in power. In gas mode there are many engineering parameters that affect power, but with new engine technology and conversion systems you will not feel a notable difference.
Is the use of natural gas (NG) harmful for the engine?
No, it is actually the opposite. The use of NG can extend the lifetime of the engine. The reason behind this is that due to the clean combustion of NG and the fact that no carbon is generated during the combustion; the overall result is that the NG engine and the oil in the engine remain much cleaner compared to vehicles running on gasoline or diesel.
Will my car have technical problems after the installation of the kit?
There is no reason to be concerned. Many conversions have already been accomplished successfully and so far no information about technical problems has been reported. It is important to note that there are more than 22 million vehicles running on NGV worldwide in more than 80 countries.
Is there a Warranty on the conversion kit? If so, what are the conditions?
Yes. Warranty on the conversion kit is for 2 (two) years or 100,000km (whichever comes earlier) from the date of conversion and certification.
- Any repairs or installations or modifications to NGV Conversion parts and cylinders through any unauthorized conversion workshop will render the customer accountable to appropriate legal action as well as making the warranty both invalid and cancelled.
- Failure to follow the proper installation and handling instructions may result in accident or personal injury for which the company declines any responsibility.
Warranty will be invalid in the following conditions:
- Any fault or damage due to improper operation or misuse of the system or not complying with operating instructions.
- Any modification / alteration / repair undertaken outside authorized conversion centres.
- If an engine is overhauled / repaired / replaced without prior reporting, test and check-up / recertification by the conversion centres.
- In case of any minor or major accident that affects the conversion system / conversion kit parts.
- Warranty does not give right to the customer for claim or repatriation of any expenses, should the customer not comply with warranty conditions and the user manual.
Is NGV the same as LPG?
No, NGV is a naturally occurring gaseous fuel, whereas LPG is liquefied petroleum gas made from petroleum products (propane and butane).
Can an NGV vehicle also be filled with LPG?
No this is not possible
- The use of LPG as motor vehicle fuel is not permitted for gas driven vehicles as per UAE regulations.
What are the main components of the NGV conversion kit?
The main components in NGV conversion kits are:
- NG Cylinder.
- Cylinder Valve.
- Pipe Line
- Filling Valve
- Electronic control unit.
- Injection rail.
- Switch with level indicator.
Can I convert my vehicle in any workshop?
Conversion to natural gas must take place in an authorised and certified workshops, equipped with the necessary certified equipment and technicians.
Does the system need maintenance work?
The conversion kit does not need to be maintained and we recommend the customer follows the routine maintenance required by the vehicle manufacturer. If a customer requires periodic maintenance, it is recommended that this be done after every 20,000 km or if he/she feels there is a change in the performance on gas mode.
To have optimum results with NGV, we recommend making periodic checks to the following:
The air filter should be maintained in perfect condition for its use. A dirty filter partially closes the air flow, modifying the air/fuel ratio.
Check and maintain the operation of all elements of the ignition system. Replacing parts when necessary assures the excellent performance of your vehicle using either NGV or gasoline.
The radiator and water conduction systems should be maintained and kept clean and free of any encrustations.